Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Engagement Story

I can finally share with you our engagement story.  I wrote it the day after the enagement, but we lost the camera with the engagement photos.  And we all know no blog is complete without photos....so we found the camera, got the photos on the computer and I am sharing them with you now!

The Story:
    For Lent the Man and I have been praying the rosary once a day.  It's AMAZING.  It's better than yoga!  I sleep so well and I have NO worries...so with each decade of the rosary you offer a special intention (a decade is 10 Hail Marys - the 10 beads you see together on a rosary).  The Man and I often pray for those close to us, family, friends, marriages, single people, babies, pregnancies, work, weather, health, etc.  Everything you worry about during the day you can offer as a special intention.  We can kinda tell how our day went based off our special intentions.  So one day the Man prays for marriages and people getting married and engaged.  I'm sure he was praying from the heart and didn't realize his over thinking girlfriend was reading into his prayer.  Gosh, I'm awful!  But we keep praying, finish our rosary and talk about what our plans are for the weekend since he's coming to town.
    He wants to have a date night so we can get dressed up and eat sushi.  I tell him we have an engagement party to go to and my sister's birthday is that Friday so we might be celebrating that with her.  Not too sure if date night will work - more like Sunday date afternoon?  I'm usually the one making plans and he's always along for the ride and I love that.  But he's insisting we go out on a real date.  We're always doing a family thing or a friend thing and if we every spend time alone it's eating pizza in our sweats with a movie.  I agreed-we were due for a date night.
    He comes in LATE Thursday night.  So we wake up Friday, go out to breakfast (I have the morning off) and then I go into work at noon.  I'm gabbing to my receptionist that I think he's going to propose because he was dropping all these hints.  Turns out I left my phone at home so I need to have him bring it to me.  I call and catch him off guard.  I ask him what he's doing and he says he's at the store.  So I'm thinking...Oh really? The diamond store?  The florist?  Are you buying rose petals to lay all over the floor?  Are you buying champagne and doves and a harp player and, and, and!!!  Yes, I'm that girl.
    So 'that girl' comes home from work to an apartment that looks just like it did when I left.  I am so disappointed.  I'm thinking ok, maybe I read into this date night thing too much.  I always hear girls saying that before their husband proposed they were acting really weird and really nervous and the Man was just being his normal self.  So I start getting ready for our date night. 

He was taking pictures of me getting ready.  He's never done that before.
This was kinda weird so maybe I should have caught on

I am starting to hate getting dressed up just because our relationship is so relaxed it's almost awkward to be all fancy in front of him, it's just not us.  But I get dressed up and when he sees me his eyes light up and the look on his face is priceless, so I guess dressing up is totally worth it. 
     For Valentines Day we stood in front of my fireplace, put the timer on the camera and took pictures together.  It was a cute idea and I'm so happy we did it for our first Valentines Day.  We weren't dressed up on Valentines Day, so he wanted to take pictures this time since we were dressed up. 

     So after the pictures the man is like "Oh, I have a present for you" so of course I'm thinking Yay!  Engagement!!  Then he hands me a Victoria Secret bag and my excitement goes from a 10 to a -3.  Seriously Victoria Secret?  boo. This is a present for him, not me!  So I open the bag and it's a pair of jeans I had left in New Mexico with his brother over THANKSGIVING, that I finally got back!  I freakin love these jeans so I'm super happy and now ready for dinner.  If it's not going to happen it's not going to happen, but yay for him remembering I really wanted these jeans back asap. 


   Then he says "No, I got you a real present" and he hands me this crystal swan with a red rose and a red ribbon.  It's incredibly romantic (just like him) and it's very nice. 


 So I say "aww, this is sweet thank you babe" and then I look closer and I see IT.  There IT IS.  Everything goes quiet and I loose all peripheral vision.  I'm focused on one thing and one thing only.  My beautiful and perfect oval diamond ring!!!  When I look up he's on his knee asking for my hand in marriage.  I'm so happy!!!!  I tell him to take that ring off the ribbon and put it on my finger!  I didn't cry, probably because I was so caught off guard (and hungry) but it was the perfect engagement.  He totally knows my personality and knew that I was expecting something so tricking me was very clever of him. 

See how hidden it is??
It's really hard to take a picture of a diamond.  flash vs. no flash


   We're both beaming from ear to ear and I'm looking for my phone so I can text and call everyone.  I want to tell my parents in person so I tell them the next day, but my friends were super happy, much happier than I thought they would be.  I was expecting "about time!" or "duh! we totally knew" but I got calls, texts, tears, screaming, and one even got drunk off excitement? (or loneliness) and called me 10 times since I couldn't answer at dinner.

He's trying to get an 'after' shot, but I'm on the phone!! 



Thanks for reading this story!!  I hope you enjoyed it!  I sure did!!

Now back to wedding planning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment