Thursday, March 22, 2012

Blue Roof House

Ok, so this won't come as a huge surprise to my 1 follower...but if you happen to read this blog and don't know...I am moving! 

I'll be leaving the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex for My Man...he lives in the plains of the Texas Panhandle, or is it known as West Texas?  I don't know and I only have about a month to figure it out! 


I'll be leaving this

For This
Seriously, it'll be a BIG change. 

In order to save money for the wedding and our future we've decided to stop the $500/mth expense of traveling to see each other.  Instead I'll move there and travel for wedding and family functions.  This will also cut my living expenses, which will be awesome!  No $650 rent or $150+ in utilities.  Just gas money (which is about to hit $4.00/gallon what a joke!)

My Man lives near his family.  His sister lives across the street and his dad is renovating a house on the corner.  Technically the Man is living in his sister's house and she is living in his house.  But her house is SMALL and she has 4 kids, so being the AMAZING man he is he's letting her live in his house.  He is was a single guy, so a 30' x 30' house was plenty of space.  Yea, 30' x 30' that's 900 sqft.  That's larger than my apartment, but not by much.    It's a cozy house and I like it.  There's PLENTY of room to expand on the land...it just hasn't happened yet.

But my move IS happening and I'm going to make this house into a home!  I have all these plans for this cute little cottage - yes, I've convinced myself it's a cottage.  So while I'm dreaming of all these amazing things I'll share with you the progress.

Big change that recently happened:  New roof on the house.  Very cool, great for insurance purposes, metal roof so very modern however the roof is blue.  Yes. The roof is bright blue.  I have to keep reminding myself this technically isn't my house....but wow, a blue roof.  I am stunned, I really couldn't think of what to do to that house to make it look nice with a tacky blue roof.  But when I saw it in person I realized the potential.  #1: no one in town has a blue roof so we can say "we're the house with the blue roof" and everyone will know where we live!  #2 character.  Roofs can really speak to the character of house and they are an easy way to add character if the house or landscape is bland.  Like say the plains of West Texas....

My inspiration so far....


source

Source
source

Technically this is a Garden Shed, but it looks like a cottage!
source
   So alot of white houses with blue roofs.  I'm not really feeling that blue house with the blue roof AT ALL.  I would still need some type of nice accessories, so I'm thinking copper would work well. 

source
source
source
But first, we'll need to paint the house white, it's an off-white color now...actually kind of yellow.  But it will soon be white!  Which will go LOVELY with the dust storms out in West Texas.  I'm not expecting this to be easy...but I know it will be fun! 

Feel free to share any ideas for the look of the Blue Roof House!

Living Life to the Fullest by moving out West!

-Rachel

3 comments:

  1. Amazing! Your inspirations for your blue roof project are great! The color is bright, and it can draw some attention. But what really got me is the Japanese roof! The pattern of the tiles is very authentic and has some class. A Western house can be exceptional if you mix it with some oriental details.

    Pleasance Faast

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Pleasance. The Japanese roof caught my attention as well. It was made of bricks so there’s nothing to worry about the wind blowing the roof. But still, maintenance is a must.

    Chantay Smithingell

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're also planning to paint our roof with blue soon just to complement the our house's exterior. And like you, we felt that it will make our house stand out. It's good to have a unique roof color, but quality comes first. I hope you've had progress with this over the last year!

    -Tina See

    ReplyDelete