Monday, December 5, 2011

Government Employees

I'm a firm believer in knowing your worth.  Of course you can define it yourself; but sometimes the good ole' facts can point you in the right direction.

For a while when I was unemployed I was trying to figure out my future.  What do I want to spend my time doing?  How much time do I want to devote to this?  What amount of money will satisfy my living expenses?  What should I be getting paid?  What am I worth in the work place?

I read up on all the interview questions to ask and to be prepared to answer.  The scariest one is always salary.  Finding out what the salary of the position is can be a tough conversation.  An even more difficult conversation is the one where you ask your future boss how much he/she makes.  Why?  So that you know what your cap is.  If you think you're $30k introduction salary is just for beginners but then find out your boss only makes $43k....now you know - you'll never make more than $43k (unless you're a commission position-which thankfully I am).  Are you sure you want to put in the sweat, blood and tears hoping for a 'raise' that will never double your salary?

It's an important question to consider...even if you're not looking for a job.  It's interesting to see where your boss stands in comparison to positions similar to his/hers.  For example: I work in a city facility (but am not a city employee).  But my big big boss is a city employee.  I found out his salary on this website: http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/government-employee-salaries/  So now I know what he is 'worth' in comparison to other positions identical to his in the state of Texas.  It's shocking really.  I love his guy, and I thought he'd be making much more than he does.  But now I get a glimpse at how other cities see our facility and the people who work in it.  I know there's more that what's on the surface, but really money talks.  And this website says it all loud and clear.

Seriously, take a look:  hint: highest paid state employee is a football coach.  Surprised?  Not if you're a true Texan.

No comments:

Post a Comment