Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My new place

I am now renting a multi-family house in a very distinguished neighborhood.  It is a $600k house and I only live in 1/3 of it, but I'm going to make it seem like I live in all $600k.  I've decided I need to decorate as soon as I get in the house.  This way it feels more like home sooner rather than later. 
I stopped by yesterday to take some measurements.  The living room is 11'x11' but the walls are at least 10ft tall.  I'm thinking of painting the walls either blue or yellow both with an accent of black and white.

I would consider painting these walls myself but they are 10 feet tall! 
a) I don't own a latter
b) I don't trust myself not getting paint on the ceiling
c) I'd really just like to pay someone $100 and get it over with - is option c even possible?  I'm looking on craigslist for someone.  I bet the paint and supplies would be $100 alone, so maybe a day of my own labor is the best option. 

My kitchen is a small 11'x4' with nice cherry wood floors and those 10 foot tall walls again.  I'm thinking of painting the kitchen green but only going up 8 feet, since it's such a tight space, knowing the height is 10 ft might make it seem smaller.  I could definitely paint the kitchen up to 8 feet on my own.  I have some red accent peices for the kitchen already, so the color palatte would look something like this:

I also want to add these silver tiles as the back splash - my sink is a nice deep stainless steel sink and the vent over the stove is silver, so I think this would look very nice.

Here's the BEST part.  My space is small, but I found these FABULOUS well decals that will work to make the space look larger like this cut out for the kitchen wall from ragingvinyl.com
and this chandalier for the "dining" area.  I don't even have a dining room table yet, but this will define the space for sure! (also from http://www.ragingvinyl.com/

For the bathroom I think I'll use these stick ons from www.2jane.com to look a like tile border going around the bathroom:
Other sticker options:
Bed Headboard at www.dezign.fr.com

This coatrack hanger from http://www.domestic.fr: This might really be the Coat Rack I want to buy (in black?)

There are also some cute decals that would look great in the closet and there is even dish decals that should which cabinet is for which dish (cups, plates, etc.)

Needless to say, there are many options out there.  It is interesting that alot of these decals are from european stores (probably because they don't have much room in their "flats").

I know, I haven't really even gotten to my bedroom yet - but as along as there is a bed in it that room is functional!

Goal for today: stop by Lowes for paint samples and pricing.

No comments:

Post a Comment