Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dress Shopping #1

I finally went wedding dress shopping!  It was awful!  Not completely awful, but not at all what I expected.  With all my family events going on this weekend the only time available to shop was Sunday afternoon.  Looking back it was really sad having to squeeze in wedding dress shopping like a chore or something.  Next time I come to town I'm coming to dress shop and that's it!  You only get to shop for a wedding dress one time, it should be a special experience.

The only dress stores open on Sunday are the big chains: David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo.  David's Bridal is the closest to our house so I made a 3:30 appointment.  Our sales associate was super nice and did a great job finding what I asked for and then finding what would look good on me.

Let's refresh what I thought I wanted:
1. Be sure the dress is interesting from the waist up
2. no strapless
3. show shoulders
4. minimize booty
5. find comfort
Ya, #5 will be impossible.  Wedding dresses are heavy, hot and incredibly uncomfortable!!  I don't understand why, but everything I tried on caused me to sweat like a pig!  I might have been having a Carrie Bradshaw moment, but I didn't break out in hives, so I think it was just the fabric and weight of each dress.
The first dress I tried on was an a-line dress,.  The #4 request of minimize booty did not happen in this dress.  It made my boobs look big and then made my tummy and booty look big, definitely not the style for me.  It was comfortable, but strapless so it was out.  Didn't even bother to take a picture in it...

This next dress was cool.  It had a HUGE skirt, way too big, and the sales associate clipped the chest area awkward so it looks weird in the photo.  But the skirt disconnects from the top and the top is actually a cocktail dress that is hidden under the skirt.  I think it's a cute concept that would go well with the cowboy boots I want to wear at the reception. 
I showed this dress to the Farmer and he didn't like it.  His reaction was "It doesn't show off your curves".  I love that he loves the part of me I dislike the most!

This was the dress I "liked the most".  I didn't love any dress, but this one I liked the most:

Wow! The lightening in there is awful.  When my mom took these pictures she took them sitting down, so I look SUPER FAT.  Which is why I'm eating a salad for lunch today.  Here I was thinking I didn't want something form fitting, but the Farmer is right, this look is great on me, I think.  I love the straps and boob coverage but would need it taken in under the chest to show I do have a waist.  This was full lace with a few beads and sequins on the train and bust.  I'm concerned the beads will catch on carpet or any flooring and cause the train to skip while I'm walking down the aisle instead of flow smoothly ya know?  I do love this veil.

So it wasn't the best shopping trip, but the dresses were only $850 so maybe if we find some higher quality dresses it will be the fit and style I'm looking for.  I'm researching Dallas boutiques and the designers they carry.  I came across this La Sposa dress that I love.  It is a Spanish designer, as in Barcelona Spain.

Click for link: This is dress number 7 of 17 
  
I do love this dress from La Sposa. It highlights the curves, but keeps them soft and romantic.  I've always wanted a veil with the lace trim and this is just over the top!  This dress isn't that interesting in the bust area and there are no straps, so we'll have to try it on to see what I think.  I know this designer is in a Dallas area bridal boutique so I might call ahead to be sure they have this dress in stock!

If I'm doing the calculations right, it can take up to 6 months to get your dress in and altered, so I need to have a dress by the end of August.  Eek!  Pray for me!

Living Life to the Fullest, just not in a wedding dress yet....

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment