Wednesday, June 23, 2010

It's not a Need it's a Network

I'd like to point out that I am still very good friends with many of my ex-boyfriends.  I choose to do this for the following reasons:
     a) they are someone you let into a private part of your life....You wouldn't want someone to share that private side of you out of spite
     b) they are very talented and good men who I am honored to know personally
and
     c) you never know when you might need something. 
One is a chef, one is a clothing designer, another is in politics, one in real estate, another does alot with the church and yea, there are some who are just there - but I'm sure they'll do something GREAT in the future.  You never know....

For example, the other day I went out to dinner to my ex's restaurant.  He said business was slow, so I invited a girlfriend and we went out to eat there.  It was nice to see him, he gave us an appetizer sample along with a dessert sampler, and the food was delicious! 

A few weeks later I bought a chicken for $4.00.  I could have bought 2 chicken breasts for $7.00 but an entire chicken (which comes with 2 breasts, right?) for $4.00?!  My mother didn't raise an idiot.  I understand you are paying for the convenience of the 2 breast being cut, skinned and packaged but I don't have a deadline for dinner time.  I can sacrifice a few more minutes in the kitchen for the $3.00 I saved. 


So I bring home my whole chicken and I realize - I have an entire chicken in my refrigerator!! And I have no idea how to go about cooking it.  I should obviously use some type of fat (oil, butter) and some seasoning, probably some herbs because I like herbs.  But at what oven temperature?  For how long?  Do I cover it or leave it open for the heat to seep in?  Come in ex-boyfriend who is a chef!  "Hey, how's is going.  Thanks for everything you did at dinner the other day.  It was a great seeing you.  I'd like to repay the favor by inviting you over for dinner on one condition 1) you teach me how to cook a whole chicken and what to do with all the extra pieces to make it last."

You may be happy to hear I successfully cooked a chicken and enjoyed a thigh and a leg with a healthy sweet potato.  I will be having chicken stir-fry tonight with the breast meat and some rice and veggies.  I also created a broth from the roasting product including the bones, so I'll enjoy chicken soup sometime this week and probably save some for a later date when comfort food is needed.  My friend also wins on this because now I can/will rave about his restaurant and the fact that he can do private cooking lessons.

Moral of the story: you never know when you might need to reference your past.  And when you do, don't think of it as a need, think of it as a networking opportunity. 

Living Life to the Fullest - with my network of friends!!
-Rachel

1 comment:

  1. turns out when you make chicken noodle soup and save it for later you DO NOT include the noodles in the stored broth! You make the noodles when you're ready to eat the chicken soup....

    ReplyDelete