Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Is a ring really necessary?!

So why an engagement ring?  



Ok, that doesn't answer the question but I thought it was funny.


According to Wikipedia an engagement ring is:
"...presented as a betrothal gift by a man to his prospective spouse while he proposes marriage or directly after she accepts his marriage proposal. It represents a formal agreement to future marriage."


I like the idea of an engagement ring.  There's an exchange.  She gives her word he gives a ring.  I'm a Carrie Bradshaw fan and who could forget the movie ending when Mr. Big asks the question, she says "yes" and then Big says "This is why there is a ring, you gotta have something to close the deal".  I agree.  Let's face it, women love the idea of marriage so much, they would probably go around saying they were engaged if they didn't need a ring to prove it! 


Which is why I'm very much on board with an engagement ring.  So much so that I pause when I think of making any drastic change WITHOUT a ring.  I know my family is expecting a ring.  I know my friends are too.  The Man in my life is such a romantic he could care less about the ring.  He just wants to the girl.  Which I understand and I love that!  But I want both.  The man and the ring.  Women are difficult, and I'm NO exception.


But it's the COST of the ring (as mentioned in my last post) that kills me.  Do you know who is to blame for this?!  De Beers.  Who's that?  That's the guy who said an engagement ring should be two month's income.  Source: Wikipedia- 
"The idea that a man should spend a significant fraction of his annual income for an engagement ring originated from De Beers marketing materials in the early 20th century, in an effort to increase the sale of diamonds.[1] In the 1930s, they suggested that a man should spend the equivalent of one month's income in the engagement ring; later they suggested that he should spend two months' income on it.[1] In 2007, the average cost of an engagement ring in USA as reported by the industry was US$2,100."
It's just marketing.  But it is ingrained in us!  Well, us women.  I'm not sure all men know that expectation.  And even if they do, I'm not sure who actually does it.  And as far as that last line in the quote "Average cost in 2007 was $2,100" - BALONEY or I just hang out with the wrong crowd.  There is no way the average cost of my friends' engagement rings is $2,100.  I don't see any of my friends getting away with NO engagement ring...not in the crowd I run with.  


I do have one friend who wanted to for go the ring all together.  She was engaged in September and married in December (of the same year).  She has a blog and wrote about why she didn't want a diamond ring.  In her conclusion: 
"Dan and I would rather our rings speak more about our hearts than our pocketbooks. Diamonds may be “indestructible,” but the might of our God is stronger."
Ay!  Talk about Catholic guilt.  But I've always felt there is a certain way to do things.  Ask my dad for permission, get down on one knee, have a ring, and then I say "yes".    He has already asked for permission, so I'll let you know when he's on one knee!!


Source



No comments:

Post a Comment