Monday, February 22, 2010

This is how it should be

Last week I was up at 5 a.m. and in the office by 6:30 a.m. dealing with staff and clients.  As my groups slowly packed up to leave, Thursday afternoon never looked so beautiful. Then my boss walked into my office: "I'm surprised you haven't asked me for the day off yet." What? I started 3 weeks ago, it wouldn't be appropriate.  She completely read my face and responded, "Usually after such a busy and hectic week I give you the day off to recover" at that moment the heavens parted and the tension in my back disappeared.... perfecto!

What a great boss! What a great workplace - this is how it should be. You put in everything you have and it's respected and compensated. If I had to work Friday I probably would have fallen asleep at my desk or at least had a nervous breakdown in the copy room (ok-that's an exaggeration). But less than a month ago I was a workaholic who could barely stay above water only working 8-5. Now, I am at a peaceful and happy place in my comfortable working environment!

Lesson #1 on how to have great employees who respect you and their job.


No comments:

Post a Comment